Things I Think
In the past this has meant a flurry of preparation for me beforehand and a lot of checking with sources during and after the event.
This year…I don’t care.
I’ve done absolutely nothing to prepare.
I don’t care because nothing will come out of this conference that affects the issues that we have championed over the years…indeed, they won’t even be mentioned.
Most in attendance don’t even acknowledge that any issues exist.
As we just witnessed again in the SGM situation. religious leaders can create their own reality and that reality doesn’t include consideration of the people that by following them, make them leaders in the first place.
Change in these organizations will only come from two places.
It may come from change agents inside the movements, though this is unlikely as their numbers make them easy to silence or exclude.
It can come from the local level… if people don’t attend the churches and support rogue leaders then they no longer have the resources to lead.
In that case, I would remind the reader that every person we’ve “exposed” now has a larger ministry than when we did the exposing.
I have boots on the ground there, I’ll keep you posted if we get surprised.
Don’t hold your breath…
2. The true betrayal of the Body of Christ hasn’t come from above, in the leadership…it’s come from below where the gathered church values their idols and performance more than biblical ethics.
3. According to his daughter, Chuck Smith just had 3 liters of fluid removed from his lung and that fluid contained cancer cells. According to my sources he still doesn’t have a succession plan. Remember the story I ran about how Harold Camping wants his movement to die with him? Just sayin…
4. BrianD posted this link last night of “ministry resources” for the new Superman movie. Seriously? The word of God, the sacraments, and the fellowship of the Body aren’t enough to draw people to worship? I already know the answer…
5. I used to greatly value Don Carsons works as a theologian. Because of his support for Mahaney and the boys I will no longer use or purchase any of his works. If your heart isn’t right, your doctrine doesn’t matter.
6. I’m going to be quitting smoking again today. Tread lightly. 🙂
7. “Summertime is always the best of what might be.” Charles Bowden.
8. On the internet, you can meticulously personalize everything according to your personal taste. Your faith, your music, your news, your sports teams, your everything that concerns you…it’s all about you. As a result we have fewer and fewer shared experiences as a culture and we are fomenting a radical level of narcissism. I think…
9. I’m not nearly as concerned with the acceptance of homosexuality in the church as I am with the rejection of humility…
10. Finally today, I get to what I wanted to write about in the first place. I offer you J.I. Packers definition of the word “agape”… love as spoken of in the New Testament.
“a technical term in the New Testament, meaning a purpose of making a loved one great in whatever way that loved one needs to be made great, and doing so by whatever means are necessary to that end”.
Today, if we are intentional about “making a loved one great by whatever means that loved one needs to be made great” in Jesus name (for that is what He has done for us) we will do more to further the boundaries of the kingdom of God than by anything else we can do.
Make your own application…