What Would “Revival” Really Look Like?
If the Holy Spirit visited an assembled group of people in power…how would that manifest itself in terms of real world change?
I have friends who have been to Asbury in the expectation that an outpouring of the Spirit will lead to political change.
People will be converted to Christ, then to Christian nationalism.
To them, this is a natural progression.
In fact…much of the “revival” prayed for over the last few years includes that component as a central desire for the visitation.
Ever the contrarian, I would think the opposite would happen.
I would think that those things that Jesus taught concerning how we think and act would become very clear to us…
1. I would think that a true outpouring would lead to the tearing down of national idolatry and the embrace of our status as exiles.
There is no money in that, it doesn’t preach well, and exiles rarely have their own flag to wave…so it would take a move of God to make it happen.
2. I would also think that the altars would be empty as people leave them to go reconcile with those they have broken fellowship with as they recognize in a real way that they have reconciled to God.
How many relationships…families… have been broken in the last few years over politics and Covid?
3. I would think that there would be an embrace of the fact that if we walk with Jesus, we must suffer with Him for the sake of the world and the kingdom.
We will suffer in order to get our ways…but not necessarily His.
4. I would think that a wave of humility would break like a wave over the assembly…because only a humble spirit can admit the need to change course…to repent.
5. I would expect a breaking down of institutional structures that allow and promote abuse of the people of God.
I could also hope that the grifters and false prophets be struck down and eaten by worms, but I’m willing to move in increments…
Above all else, I would expect the person and work of Jesus would be the center of it all.
The work of the Holy Spirit is to point to the Son…
I have no idea how close what is happening in Asbury resembles all this…and God didn’t ask for my list before He moved.
What should we expect from revival?