Things I Think
1. The big story over the weekend was that of a Kansas City Chief football player who murdered his girlfriend, then committed suicide at the team facility. All the reports included testimonies about what a “good guy” the man had been. Note to the world…”good guys” don’t murder the mother of their children.
2. The national commentators on the story immediately tried to turn this into a gun control issue. Murder is a heart problem, not a gun problem. Without a gun he would have used his hands or another weapon because the problem was in his heart, not his tools.
3. That is the same stupid argument used to keep contraceptives out of high schools…as if lack of contraception prevents sexual sin. You betcha…
4. Preached on Hosea 7 last night…which was basically the same sermon as Hosea 1-6. Verse by verse, chapter by chapter has it’s limitations. I’m summarizing the last few chapters and moving on.
5. There is a great metaphor in Hosea 7 where the writer compares the people of God to an ‘unturned cake”. In other words, they are half baked…
6. In practical, pragmatic terms, how does one “seek God”?
7. Five days a week I must be at work by 9:00 am to satisfy my boss. My regular scheduled prayer time to meet with my Lord is…..
8. The cure for legalism is not a complete lack of discipline.
9. Being wounded in the church does not grant you a license to dismiss all things holy.
10. The mark of a truly great pastor is not being the one who teaches well, it’s being the one who models the teaching well.